How does laser treatment work for skin discoloration?
- Laser skin treatment works by directing a beam of light to an "irregularity or abnormality” in the skin, such as a freckle or brown discoloration. This removes the abnormality with only a very small risk of harming the normal adjacent skin.
How many treatments are required for brown discoloration?
- For brown discoloration, freckles or "sun spots”, there is usually significant improvement with the initial treatment.
- Typically however, several sessions are required to completely eliminate the discoloration.
- The average treatment for a full face takes about 15 – 20 minutes.
- The treatment can be performed in a relaxed, comfortable manner without the need for topical anesthetics.
- In rare cases, the laser cannot be safely used to treat the brown discoloration and other modalities such as bleaching agents need to be used.
How long is the recovery following treatment of brown discoloration?
- Following treatment of brown discoloration, you will be able to return to normal activities immediately, though sunscreen should be applied as a post-treatment precaution.
- However, the treated areas will have a flaking of the dark pigment that can last 7-10 days.