What is Kybella®?
- Kybella® (deoxycholic acid) is the first FDA-approved non-surgical option to redefine the chin and jawline in patients with mild skin laxity and mild to moderate submental fullness, also called "double chin”.
Kybella® reduces mild to moderate submental fullness following a series of 2-6 injection sessions performed in the office.
- In an in depth consultation, Dr. Sweis will evaluate your chin, submental region and jawline to determine if you are a good candidate for treatments with injectable Kybella®, or if you would benefit more from other types of treatments.
Who should not receive Kybella®?
- Before receiving Kybella®, please inform Dr. Sweis about all of your medical conditions, including if you have had or plan to have surgery on your face, neck, or chin; have had cosmetic treatments on your face, neck, or chin; have had or have medical conditions in or near the neck area; have had or have trouble swallowing; have bleeding problems; are pregnant or plan to become pregnant (it is not known if Kybella® will harm your unborn baby); or are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed (it is not known if Kybella® passes into your breast milk).
- Please inform Dr. Sweis about all the medicines that you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially let us know if you take a medicine that prevents the clotting of your blood (anti-platelet or anti-coagulant medicine).
- You should not receive Kybella® if you have an infection in the treatment area.
What are the possible side effects of Kybella®?
- Although rare, Kybella® can cause serious side effects including difficulty swallowing or facial nerve injury along the jaw line which can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness).
- The most common side effects of Kybella® include swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area.
- These usually resolve without any negative consequences.
- These are not all of the possible side effects of Kybella®, and you would need to discuss your particular case with Dr. Sweis to see if you are a good candidate for this treatment.
- Dr. Iliana Sweis has been selected by Allergan, the makers of Kybella®, to train other qualified physicians on the safe use injectable Kybella®.