Sun Spots & Sun Damage
- How does laser treatment work for skin discoloration?
- How many treatments are required for brown discoloration?
- How long is the recovery following treatment of brown discoloration?
- Laser skin treatment works by directing a beam of light to an "irregularity or abnormality” in the skin, such as a freckle or brown discoloration. This removes the abnormality with only a very small risk of harming the normal adjacent skin.
- For brown discoloration, freckles or "sun spots”, there is usually significant improvement with the initial treatment.
- Typically however, several sessions are required to completely eliminate the discoloration.
- The average treatment for a full face takes about 15 – 20 minutes.
- The treatment can be performed in a relaxed, comfortable manner without the need for topical anesthetics.
- In rare cases, the laser cannot be safely used to treat the brown discoloration and other modalities such as bleaching agents need to be used.
- Following treatment of brown discoloration, you will be able to return to normal activities immediately, though sunscreen should be applied as a post-treatment precaution.
- However, the treated areas will have a flaking of the dark pigment that can last 7-10 days.
Illustrations of Procedure